Champuru.net: Prayers and Support for Japan

With images of the devastation in Japan fresh on my mind, I stayed up until 4am that morning to see what nature would bring to our shores. The tsunami was not nearly as powerful as the one that swept through Japan, and although there was some property damage, Hawaii was very fortunate not to suffer any loss of life. I don’t think I have ever felt as close to the edge of disaster as I did that night.

(Via Champuru.net.)

Event: Sennin no Sanshin (Hawaii)

Okinawan musical instrument, Sanshin players can be a part of the 17th Honolulu Festival Grand Parade!

The grand marshal will be Sanshin Master Choichi Terukina-sensei, a National Living Treasure of Japan. Let’s join the parade with Terukina-sensei and play his composition “Mensore.”

The goal of SENNIN NO SANSHIN Project is to have as many sanshin players as possible to participate in this parade.

We want 1,000 sanshin players from Hawaii, mainland USA and Okinawa! […]

(Via Honolulu Festival.)

The awesome thing? They’re serious about having anyone with a sanshin join in by making available the music and kunkunshi of the song. You’ll find them here along with video tutorials. Way to go, guys! (How about having the video available in other formats besides WMV too? People on smartphones will thank you for it.)

Concert: 3 Strings, Songs of Okinawa

20110302 Okinawa 3strings

Mr. Choichi Terukina, recognized as a Living National Treasure of Japan for his performance of Classical Okinawan music as known as Ryukyu Koten, will take the stage on Saturday, March 19, at 7:00 pm at the Center for Early Education’s Community Center, 563 North Alered Street, West Hollywood, CA 90048, to introduce the recently formed Choichi Kai Los Angeles, the inaugural branch of his sanshin studio in Los Angeles.

The concert program, “3 Strings, Songs of Okinawa” will mark his first performance with the freshman in the Los Angeles studio. In addition to the Los Angeles group, members of the accomplished Afuso-ryu Gensei Kai Hawaii will join Mr. Terukina onstage.

Mr. Grant “Sandaa” Murata, a protégé of Mr. Terukina, and a recognized master of sanshin in his own right, fronts the list of accomplished Afuso-ryu Gensei Kai Hawaii sanshin players. […]

Read the full article at Cultural News.

Check out the Facebook page for more information.

Buying sanshin in the U.S. has become that much easier

What an exciting time we’re living in if you’re a fan of the sanshin. In the past, those of us outside of Okinawa who play the sanshin would have to either go there or be fortunate enough to know someone who lives or travels there for us to buy the instrument or its accessories (e.g. strings, uma, karakui, etc.). Although there have been ways to order the instrument online (like eBay, Asoviva Sanshin), I’m very happy to announce that sanshin and sanshin accessories can now be ordered in Hawaii. In addition to being able to purchase a variety of new sanshin or its accessories, you can also have the skin from your sanshin’s chiiga (drum) replaced with a new one of your choice: real snakeskin, double-layer (a combination of a layer of real snakeskin over a layer of synthetic covering), or synthetic covering.

Continue reading “Buying sanshin in the U.S. has become that much easier”

Screen shot 2010-06-10 at 11.14.41 PM.png

For all of you bon dance lovers out there, Donna has created a new website for you to keep up-to-date on where the action is at as well as posts that show you what bon dancing is all about through wonderful photos and videos.

It’ll be great to see others in different parts of the world (so far only the Hawaiian Islands are represented) join in on her website so be sure to contact Donna with your information and let’s make this the place to go to on the Web for bon dance info!

www.bondance.com

UHM Department of Anthropology Colloquium Series

The Department of Anthropology Colloquium Series:

U.S. Military Bases and Funshi (Feng Shui): The Anti-Base Movement and Community Development in Yomitan, Okinawa

Tomoaki Hara, Associate Professor of Anthropology
Shizuoka University, Japan

Thursday, April 22, 2010
3:00 PM in Crawford Hall 115, University of Hawaii at Manoa

Link

Sounds like a very interesting topic that Tomoaki will be presenting on Thursday.

(Nifee deebitan to Char for sending it in!)

UHM Women’s Studies Colloquium Series Spring 2010

The UHM Women’s Studies Program is pleased to continue our Spring 2010 Colloquium Series with a talk by Mire Koikari (Director, UHM Women’s Studies Program), “‘I only ask this splendid group of women not to become involved in politics’: Women, Domesticity, and the Cold War in US-occupied Okinawa.” This talk is co-sponsored by the UHM Center for Okinawan Studies.

The event will take place at 2424 Maile Way, Saunders 624 (the Harry Friedman Room in the Political Science Department) Friday, April 16, 2010 from 12:30pm-2pm.

Link

Sorry, late in posting this but please attend if you’re in the area. (Nifee deebitan to Char for the info!)