HUOA.org Website Renewal and Okinawan Festival Website

HUOA.org website renewal

The Hawaii United Okinawa Association (HUOA.org) website has undergone a major overhaul. Gone is the splash page and although they’re still using frames, navigating the site is a lot easier now.

Okinawan Festival website

Also of note, is the addition of a special website dedicated to the annual Okinawan Festival which will take place from August 30th to September 2nd of this year. This year marks the 25th for the festival so there’s sure to be special guests from Okinawa.

Discussion Panel and Lecture with Dr. Gregory Smits at UH Manoa Next Week

University of Hawaii at Manoa’s Center for Japanese Studies will have a special guest next week, Dr. Gregory Smits, Associate Professor of Japanese History from Pennsylvania State University. Dr. Smits will be a guest discussant on Wednesday, April 11, 2007, from 12:00 PM to 1:30 PM at the Tokioka Room (Moore Hall 319). The theme of the discussion is Okinawa’s Challenges in the 21st Century. (Click here for more info [pdf].) He’ll also be giving a lecture on the “Royal Authority in the Kingdom of Ryukyu” (sponsored by SHAPS and CJS) on Friday, April 13, 2007, from 5:30 PM to 7:00 PM at the Center for Korean Studies Auditorium. (Click here for more info [pdf].) Both take place on the UH Manoa campus and are free to the public.

Nifee to Charlene G. for the info and links!

Keith Nakaganeku and Calabash at Borders This Week!

Want to hear one of the most beautiful voices on the island? How about a chance to listen to Hawaiian, Japanese and Okinawan music at the same place? Well, you’ll get all of those great things if you step away from your Mac/PC and head on over to the Borders at Victoria Ward Centre this Friday (3/16) at 8 PM to listen to Keith Nakaganeku and Calabash. He’ll also be at the Borders Pearlridge location on Saturday (3/17) from 2 PM. Oh, and if you haven’t already, buy his CD too. 😀

(Thanks for the info Ichiro!)

Isshin – Of One Heart

Okay, I blogged about this joint (dance and taiko) concert a while back ago at Internet-Okinawa.com and also at the ol’ Karakui.com before I “accidentally” killed it (don’t ask). This’ll be the first for this blog tho’.

ISSHINOf One Heart

A concert featuring classical, contemporary and avant garde Okinawan dance and taiko

Leeward Community College Theatre
Saturday, February 17, 2007
7:00 PM

Presented by:
Jimpu Kai USA, Kin Ryosho Ryukyu Geino Kenkyusho
and
Hawaii Taiko Kai

Ticket Price: $20, open seating
For tickets and information, please contact:

mmaechung[at]wmconnect[dot]com – Jimpu Kai, USA
or
hawaiitaikokai[at]yahoo[dot]com – Hawaii Taiko Kai

My friend who is a member of Cheryl Sensei’s dance troupe said that they’re almost sold-out of tickets so you better get ’em quick! (That includes me too. 😉 )

Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Hawaii’s 10th Anniversary Recital

Dang, that’s a long post title. I’m back from an unplanned break (small part of it due to a lack of news, the rest because I was blogging elsewhere—sorry) from blogging here to bring you information on a recital of Okinawan taiko by Hawaii’s very own branch of the Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko (RMD). More info on the recital can be found on their official website (link below) but here’s the gist of it:

Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Hawaii
10th Anniversary Recital
Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel (Magic Showroom)
Sunday, April 1, 2007 @ 1:00 PM
Ticket Information: RMD Hawaii’s Official Website

If you love eisaa taiko (who doesn’t?), it’ll probably be worth checking out. As an added bonus, Yaeyama eisaa rocker Hidekatsu will be performing too.